Loading... Please wait...

Our Newsletter


Visible Mail Box circa 1935

  • Front View
  • Closeup of Front View
  • Bottom View with bottom closed
  • Bottom View with bottom open (we are masters of the obvious, in case you cant tell!)
  • Side view
  • Bottom Left corner where crack is located
  • Back view
  • Top view
  • Top lid closeup
  • Closeup of raised letters of makers name, Pat date and location (very hard to see in the clear glass) "George F. Collins & Co. Sapulpa Okla. Pat. 5-22-34
  • Copy of US Census - 1930 - George F Collins & Family
  • Copy of US Census - 1920 - George F Collins & Family
  • Print copy of the original 1934 Patent is also included
Price:
SOLD - Subscribe to our email list for pricing info.
Brand:
Condition:
Used
Weight:
N/A
Minimum Purchase:
1 unit(s)
Maximum Purchase:
1 unit(s)


Product Description

Visible Mail Box circa 1935 - SOLD 4-2-11!!!

This is a prime example of the Visible Mailbox produced by Gorge F Collins in the 1930's. It has a flip up metal lid to top, and bottom opens to drop mail out into your hand.  Overall it measures 12 1/2" tall x 5 1/2" wide x 4" deep. Glass has the words in raised lettering: "Visible Mail", and "George F. Collins & Co. Sapulpa Okla. Pat. 5-22-34" 

Condition: Glass is excellent condition for it's age. It does have one small crack and chip at the bottom hinge plate, but it is not a structural crack (not all the way though the glass) and the chip is on both sides of the bottom plate where it swings down and is not visible as they follow the original curve of the hole for the swing pivit hinge. The metal has been repainted with an exterior grade finish as the original tin was quit rusty.Included is the original newspaper/magazine holder/hanger (the long thin strip that comes out the top) which is used to hold the newspaper or magazine tight and secure against the wall your home. Many other Visible Mail boxes you will see, this is missing, and since this piece is how the top of the mailbox is secured to the wall, it is critical to have. All screw holes are in good shape and functional, ready for use. Cleaned and painted it is now ready for display or use. 

Included with this auction are printouts from the archives of the US 1920 & 1930 Census showing the details of George and his family in Sapulpa Oklahoma.

Also Included is a print set copy of the original patent patent for the Visible Mail Box filed by the inventor, Charles G. Overmyer on Jan, 4th 1932, granted May 22, 1934. Charles Overmyer was a very well knows glass blower in Indiana in the 1920's & 1930's. Charles was a prolific inventor, and one of his better knows inventions in the 1920 was a new style of solid glass drawer pulls that threaded directly into the wood, or a brass sleeve, eliminating the need for a screw and bolt to hold the drawer pull on. After obtaining a patent on his inventions, Charles would then license or sell the patent to manufactures like George Collins for production.

 

***Many more detailed pictures availabe upon request ***

 

History of the Visible Mailbox and George F Collins Sr

The Visible mailbox was made by George F Collins in Sapulpa Oklahoma. George F. Collins Sr. was a pioneer in the US Glass industry, and by the 1920's, was part of making Sapulpa, Oklahoma known as "The Crystal City of the Southwest."  Mr. Collins was involved with several companies over the years, but the oldest, and most well known is the Liberty Glass Co. (which was just sold in 2010 to American National Can Co.). Liberty was formed from the Bartlett-Collins Glass Co. in 1918, Liberty, Oklahoma, with George F. Collins as its manager and secretary of the corporation, and eventually Charmian of the board, which he remained until his death in 1939, when his son, George F Collins Jr, took over the company. The George F Collins Jr Tulsa Convention Center is named after George Jr.

 

September 23, 1939
Sapulpa Herald
Creek Co. OK

PIONEER INDUSTRIALIST OF SAPULPA SUCCUMBS TO STROKE
SERVICES FROM TULSA HOME


Funeral services will be held at 2:30 o’clock tomorrow after noon at the family home in Tulsa, for George F. Collins age 66 industrial leader of Sapulpa. Who died yesterday afternoon in a Tulsa Hospital

Dr. Golden Lawrence, pastor of the First Methodist Church, Tulsa, will officiate at the service. Collins will be buried there in the Rose Hill Mausoleum beside the body of his first wife who died 10 years ago.

Collins, pioneer glass manufacturer of Sapulpa, who retired from active management of the Liberty Glass company here as president about six months ago, is survived by one son George F. Collins, Jr., one daughter Mrs. Loreine Collins Price; his step-mother Mrs. Laura Ann Collins of Bend, Ore.; one sister, Mrs. Ed Moore of Arapaho, Neb.; a half-sister, Mrs. Carl Baker, of Bend; two half-brothers, Forrest Collins of Los Angeles and Frank Collins of Sapulpa.

Announcement was made here today that the Liberty Glass plant would continue in operation as in the past and no changes were contemplated.

Collins had owned and operated the Liberty Glass Company since 1918. He came here in 1912 and became associated with H. U. Bartlett in a partnership of the Bartlett-Collins glass plant for six years then sold his interest in that company and formed the Liberty Glass concern. About six months ago, because of ill health, Collins resigned as president of his glass company to be succeeded by his son. Collins however, retained chairmanship of the board of directors.

While living in Sapulpa before moving to Tulsa in 1927, Collins was active in the First Methodist church here. His name is inscribed on the cornerstone as one of the building committee. He also was active in the Rotary Club, Chamber of Commerce and other civic circles. He was a thirty-second degree Mason. At Tulsa he was equally active in church and civic groups.

Collins was born on a farm at Thayer, Kans., and was graduated from the high school there. He finished his education at Baker university, a Methodist church at Baldwin, Kans,. And later was a trustee there.

He was a school teacher and a superintendent at Neodesha, Kan., spent two years on a farm in Texas, returned to Kansas and became associated with his father-in-law in a glass plant at Coffeeville, then came to Sapulpa in 1912.

 

***Many more detailed pictures availabe upon request ***

 

logowithweb.jpg


Find Similar Products by Category


Write your own product review

Product Reviews

This product hasn't received any reviews yet. Be the first to review this product!


Add to Wish List

Click the button below to add the Visible Mail Box circa 1935 to your wish list.